Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A day in May


Scorching sun, oppressive heat; no sign of the slightest wind, not a leaf stirring.
Househunting blues.
An owner trying to impress on me that the rent is justified, after all it is a ‘good society’, a reference to a building being gated, relatively well maintained and with inhabitants who are typically a little better off. A hierarchy even in buildings. ‘A good society’ does not mean good people, it just means people with more money, I think to myself but don’t say it. When will the Mumbai housing Gods smile down on me?
Sweaty, hot and depressed, I come back home and stare out of the window at the limping palm leaves that I am going to miss very much.
Call from Faiza. There have been demolitions in Ambujwadi and Sion Koliwada.
My househunting blues are now coloured with a tinge of guilt.

2 comments:

Sagarika said...

When I started to read this blog, my first reaction was that I won't get to visit you in your lovely flat anymore. When I finished reading it, I shared your guilt...

poosha said...

:(