Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I met a Good Boy! Part 2

(Continuing from previous post...)

This is scary at several levels, and I am wondering where to begin.
I happened to mention this to a friend and she squarely blamed his Southern roots. While I’m not sure I agree with her, it gives me a starting point. Of course this is a cultural thing- it is, I suppose a very (South? No, I think) Indian phenomenon that the woman you date and the woman you marry are different. I’m not a man and women don’t seem to follow such rules, not at least the ones I know, so I can only wonder at the reasons for this unique trait, so bear with me while I wonder aloud in an attempt to understand. Though I do wish to limit the scope considerably, primarily because the part that interests me the most in this situation is the guy in question or what I have understood of him. Which also happens to be the most surprising part. You see there’s a certain kind of behaviour one comes to expect from a certain kind of people. It’s not right of course to judge people by pre-conceived notions, and yet we do it all the time. So it is that we would be surprised for instance, if an old dhoti clad man in a village suddenly broke into say, Spanish. Ok that’s a bit extreme, but you get the drift...
So as I mentioned earlier, he isn’t from some small town where people, especially men, can still be expected to be regressive in their attitude towards women. He’s from Mumbai, the cosmopolitan city where arguably India’s most progressive men reside. He’s not from an underprivileged economic background or lacking in education. He holds a Master’s degree. He’s not from an underprivileged social background i.e. he’s not from some backward caste; this clarification is for those of you who may still believe that that plays a role. He is in fact from a snobbish upper caste. He’s not from the North, for those of you who think this is a peculiar trait of the brash Delhi/ Punjabi lads. He is a good South Indian boy, and those according to my friend are prone to toeing the line and marrying within the community, a trend that is in any case more prevalent and rigid in the South. It’s not like his childhood or adolescence was deprived of female company i.e. he wasn’t sent to some Boys only boarding school. He’s grown up and studied in Mumbai. He’s not geeky, and shy or incapable of a good conversation like some of those engineer types can be. In fact there’s enough on his blog to suggest female company, love, lovemaking, longing, heartbreak, loneliness; basically the works. He’s not even Mama’s boy, he actually lives by himself though his family is in the same city, and shuttles between the two houses. And while he doesn’t cook, he does do the cleaning himself. So within an urban scenario, have I taken care of most of the stereotypes then? And established conclusively that he cannot be slotted in any of them?
Further, here is a man who gives up a lucrative corporate job to follow his love of writing and films. Here is a man who, as I have mentioned before, dares to write not just of his dreams and aspirations, but also insecurities, not just his achievements but also his failures. He speaks of having lost in love, and of extreme loneliness. He speaks of being lost in general and the struggle to gain composure. He writes film reviews that I identify with. And he writes lovely accounts of mundane everyday things like meetings, which were infinitely exciting for him, for he was on a new unknown path. Of course one could argue that some of that stuff is the writer in him, but even so, it has to be coming from somewhere! I always like to point out about my camerawork, or anyone else’s for that matter- that one frame is not one moment of brilliance, it is the result, or an amalgamation if you please, of many years of a life lived- in happiness, in grief, in regret, in failure, in love, in tears, in beauty, in pain… its many experiences, and the marks they leave on us, and the attitudes with which we go forth after. The same I suppose, would be true of writing.
Which part of him then, is not utterly likeable? Not for regular folks maybe, I understand. I mean if you were a father looking for a match for his daughter, you would make sure he was the last guy on earth she met. But for someone like me… why, here was someone who I could totally relate with. But that isn’t the point I was trying to make. The point is- here is somebody who is clearly a black sheep, as many admittedly, in the film industry are.
And the point is there is nothing stereotypical about the guy.
Except perhaps the dream of making films, which is a dream common to many in this city.

So how does a guy like that come to believe that the only way he was going to get married was if his mother found someone? Is that some kind of submission or delusion, I don’t know.

I feel the need to clarify here that I have absolutely nothing against matrimonial sites or arranged marriages. I don’t believe that there is a gospel truth to anything, including love and marriage. Whatever works for you! However, I do imagine that it would work better for a certain kind of people, with a certain kind of attitude. And as a corollary, it would not work particularly well for a certain kind of people, which is what is relevant in this case. But here is someone, smart and experienced, who is convinced that its not just possible, it is the only way! It makes me wonder if he is losing the plot somewhere, or I am.

But that is only a part of the problem, if I may be allowed to call this a problem. The other part of course, is the one in which the Good but lonely Boy decides he wants company. And sets out to look for it. Please note that he is convinced that he cannot find a bride to marry, but is hopeful nevertheless of finding a companion for all those long, lonely evenings. Clearly there must be something fundamentally different about the two. I am not even going to attempt this one. Apart from the fact that it is beyond my comprehension, it is downright hypocritical. It may be unfair and harsh to make a sweeping statement like that about someone who may well be in that situation for a wide variety of reasons, however I’d be hard pressed to find one in which I would find such an attitude justifiable… Understandable maybe, justifiable unlikely.
I recall he mentioned once in a similar context that he felt he was born in the wrong country. I’m not sure women in any part of the world would be happy with this. Hell, no one should be happy with a stopgap arrangement kind of love. And no, this isn’t remotely about feminism. It doesn’t matter if the positions were reversed. If a woman were doing this- looking for a male companion to fill in a gap, I would find it equally reprehensible.

But what I found even more intriguing was the thought that if he believed it was somehow possible, that there must be willing women as well?
So what does that mean? That there are all these lonely souls out there, looking, craving even, for some kind of temporary comfort? A no questions asked, no strings attached kind of closeness that seems possible only with a stranger or another of their own kind? Is this some kind of desperate attempt to clutch at romance as it should be, natural and spontaneous as opposed to pre ordained, which is how love in their marriages is destined to be (and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.) Is this an attempt at creating a memory to cherish and to live by? Or is it just the thrill of tasting fruit that will soon be forbidden?
Maybe a little of some or all of the above?

The redeeming factor in the case in question was the honesty. There was no attempt to mislead; there was in fact candour in admitting to his helplessness, which I have to say was almost endearing. It wasn’t even helplessness really, just a detached kind of submission. It made me realise that at least he had the kind of attitude that would be invaluable for the route ahead. Or perhaps that’s putting the cart before the horse. Perhaps the attitude stems from the submission to the situation. In any case, while the chances of this guy or his mother finding a companion of the kind he desires from a matrimonial site are questionable, that he will be able to align himself to whoever she picks for him is less so.

9 comments:

SS said...

Actually, it is a common phenomenon. Mostly amoungst people who cannot / do not have any stand in anything. If you do not have a control over your life, even before you have faced it, then why bother living it! might as well ask mummy to find a child bride when you are 10 yourself. Mummy might get stressed out when you are a lot older than that..

SS said...

Try this,
http://www.dowrycalculator.com/

poosha said...

Dear SS
Comment 1: !!
Comment 2: That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Most people in this country live under all kinds of compulsions.
I see your point though.
Comment3: *rolling eyes*
Although I suppose dowry could be a possibility. The thought hadn't occur to me.

poosha said...

*occurred

Deepa said...

It is common knowledge that the women you date for casual "fun" are not the ones you marry. This is not just in India, but all over the world. I don't think dowry even has to come into it.

This guy is just being "normal".

poosha said...

hmmm... I suppose you're right. And while that's not exactly news to me, the point is I haven't come across any such men. And now I am wondering how that came to be!
Which isn't to say that every relationship that I knew of or was in culminated in marriage (clearly!) People fall out of love, relationships run their course and if they're not meant to be, they get over... but to enter something with the sole purpose of casual fun is not something I have encountered, thankfully.
I am inclined to believe that I probably never came across as the sort of person who would be interested in that sort of thing, so no one ever bothered me before.
Which makes me wonder what's different now...

Besides, the point I was trying to make was that if a well bred, sensitive sounding, educated, smart guy from a city like Mumbai has this attitude, then what does this say about the rest of the men out there. In another country the situation would be different. Here in India, these same men, and needless to say society, would judge women by very different standards. It is this hypocrisy that I have a problem with. And while you come to expect hypocrisy from a certain kind of men, this was shocking for me because it was too close to home, so to say. Had I met this guy any other way, I would still have taken an instant liking to him. And would have found it hard to believe that he could hold the views he holds.

Bharat Singh said...

It seems the guys hasn't quite understood what marriage entails. He's compartmentalized it as something he will deal with later or has a misguided understanding of how he will make it work.

poosha said...

Dear injunplanna (whatever does that mean?),
Well, I'm guessing no one really does understand what marriage entails until they actually get married! You mean there were no surprises for you? *grin*
Jokes apart, I suppose that's not really for me to say.

Bharat Singh said...

I mean the guy probably hasn't quite spent time thinking about how to be with a person 24/7 which I believe is typical of most indian young folk. They mostly see marriage as an eventuality to be dealt with when it happens. I went the arrange marriage route primarily because I didn't make an effort to get into a relationship. I always thought these things happen on thier own (fate?). But one has to work to make a connection. I wasn't quite the pursuing type (mostly a bit wary of the charades one has to put up). This realization that one has to work towards a relationship is what governed my quest to be 'arranged' married. My parents had a whole assortment of potential persons, but I insisted that I had a conversation with them before I saw a photo or bio. My purpose was to see if I could have a meaningful conversation with the person, specifically, what was their expectations were of being married. I had realized that getting married is pretty much a crapshoot (two of my close friends who were engaged to their long time college girlfriends had broken up -you know them), and the best way to apporach it was to not have much expectations,except for that the other person was willing to build a relationship from scratch. I have had some bad days since my marriage (7 years in Nov) but i can say I am having the best time with my better half right now because we both knew from the start that it takes time.
As for your 'Good boy', if he doesn't sepnd some time thinking about what it takes to be with someone 24/7, he is going to be on a very bumpy road. BTW injunplanna is injun (what them cowboys called the native americans) and planna (how a Nigerian would say planner) :-).