Thursday, September 6, 2012

The building next door

I’d noticed the name before
on the building next door
though only in passing.
Do you pause anymore
when you come across a building
named after a popular icon?
Neither do I.
And this one was inside Police Officers’ Colony!
And so it came to be
that here I’ve been living
without a clue.
Until last week when I visited someone who lives in it.
At the entrance
I found a bust
bearing his name!
So I asked.
Oh yes, said she.
This plot of land belonged to him,
as did the building.
When he died,
his family distributed the apartments
among his crew.
This one belonged to his still photographer.

There it was then.
He died before the building was even finished,
and he certainly never lived in it.
But if he owned it, surely he must have come here,
walked the same earth?
That thought was enough to fill my heart
with a child like glee!
I glided home,
imagining that time in the long lost past
when Guru Dutt may have walked the same path.

2 comments:

Kartick Sitaraman said...

Beautiful, poignant, warm... much like GD's own hand.
Waqt ne kiya, kya haseen sitam...

poosha said...

:)
thanks!